Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2018 18:37:18 +0100
From:      matias@pizarro.net
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   12.0-RC1 drm_atomic panic (supervisor read data, protection violation)

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your great work that allows me to use a real OS on my work=20
machine.

I have been tracking 12-CURRENT on a ThinkPad T450 without issues until=20
now. I just got myself a T480 and rolled out 12.0-BETA4 and then RC1,=20
with the same packages but I am getting a panic when launching either=20
Sublime Text 3 or Textadept. All my other packages (mpv, libreoffice,=20
Inkscape, Firefox, Chromium, Xfe etc...) are working fine but these two,=20
which are linux binaries (relevant?), trigger the panic, both in BETA4=20
and RC1, using drm-stable-kmod or drm-next-kmod, from quarterly or=20
latest pkg repos.
At the moment I have
$ pkg info -d drm-next-kmod
drm-next-kmod-4.11.g20181027_1:
         gpu-firmware-kmod-g20181104

Bearing in mind these are running on different hardware:
     - works, self-compiled kernel:
         FreeBSD lenovo01 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #0 r334644=20
amd64
     - panics, fresh install from BETA4 image, binary-updated to RC1:
         FreeBSD lenovo01 12.0-RC1 FreeBSD 12.0-RC1 r340470 GENERIC =20
amd64

After 12 hours of trying to sort this out I have run out of ideas. I=20
would appreciate it if you could help me figure out what should my next=20
steps be.
I could, for instance:
     1) Roll-out 12.0-RC1 on a BE on the machine that works to see if the=
=20
issue is linked with the change of hardware
     2) Roll-out 12-CURRENT r334644 on a BE on the panicking machine to=20
see if the issue is linked to the change of kernel
     3) Compile a DEBUG kernel on the panicking machine to help you=20
diagnose the issue
     4) Roll out a patched kernel if the included information inspires=20
you an idea for a patch

I have no idea of C or kernel hacking but I am confortable with=20
compiling custom kernels or building ports.

I have put the following in a gist, though I include here an extract of=20
part of the dump report to (hopefully) whet your appetite:
     - /var/crash/core.txt, that contains full boot log, ps -axlww,=20
vmstat -s | -m | -z
     - /boot/loader.conf
     - /etc/rc.conf
     - /etc/sysctl.conf
     - /var/log/Xorg.0.log (I am not using any Xorg configuration)

gist URL:=20
https://gist.github.com/rebost/1a2bbfc45e9273ae5a76a98c3a67a23d

I also have the actual vmcore dump at hand if necessary, but that's=20
1,4GB.

If there is anything else I can help you help me with, just let me know

Thanks for your help, past and future.

-- mat=C3=ADas