Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 2018 12:38:19 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Recommendations for cheap PCI-E network adapter ?

I need to buy a PCI-E ethernet card.  It won't really matter if it
is 10/100/1000 or just 10/100 but it has to work with FreeBSD at a
minimum.  It would be Nice if it was also supported by Linux and
Windoze7, but that isn't really critical.

I'm a serious cheapskate, so I'd like to spend as little as possible.
I don't need anything super-deluxe.  Whatever is cheapest will be fine,
even if the performance is only so-so.

Recommendations would be appreciated.

P.S.  The small amount of research I just now did suggests that Realtek
based cards should be avoided, but one reviewer said that the Rosewill
RC-411v3 works just fine on Ubuntu, so I'm not sure what to think about
Realtek-based cards now.  The price is right (for me) on the Rosewill
RC-411v3, but various online threads (relating to Realtek chips) give
me pause...

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/60033/

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/55861/

I really can't see blowing fifty bucks on a simple, low-end ethernet card,
but everything inexpensive seems to be Realtek-based. :-(