Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:59:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, Jason W <jason@welsh.dynip.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: excess baggage in / directory?

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Daniel Frazier wrote:

> Dan Nelson wrote:
> >
> > In the last episode (Sep 11), Jason W said:
> > > I just installed a brand new 4.1-RELEASE on my hard drive. I went for the
> > > overkill and partitioned my /var and / partitions with 500 Megs. After the
> > > install, I do a df and heres what I get
> > >
> > > [root@welsh]# df -h
> > > Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > > /dev/ad0s1a   484M   326M   120M    73%    /
> > > /dev/ad0s1f   4.7G   433M   3.9G    10%    /usr
> > > /dev/ad0s1e   484M   1.7M   444M     0%    /var
> > > procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc
> > > [root@welsh]#
> >
> > give us the output of a "du -x /".  My bets are on /tmp.
> >

> I agree.  some may argue with this, but you might want to link /tmp to /usr/tmp
> to make sure /tmp wont ever fill up /.

The only problem with this is that if you ever have to boot without
mounting any filesystems instead of root, you won't have a /tmp directory
so many things will fail (including most editors.)  Yes, it's easy to
create /tmp in those circumstances, but it's generally a bad habit to get
into.  (I've seen some SCO and Solaris boxes fail miserably once a trick
like this has been performed.  They have trouble moving from single-user
to multi-user without /tmp.)

--
Matthew Emmerton
GSI Computer Services