Date:      Tue, 1 May 2001 12:03:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rick Duvall <maillist@coastsight.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bootable CD IV

So, let me get this straight:  To make a bootable CD, you need to:

1.  compile a kernel (generic will work)
2.  gzip the kernel to kernel.gz
3.  vnconfig -s labels -c vn0 boot.flp (from /cdrom/floppies/boot.flp)
4.  mount /dev/vn0a /mnt
5.  cp kernel.gz /mnt/kernel.gz
6.  cp /boot/boot0 /mnt/boot/boot0;cp /boot/loader.4th
/mnt/boot/loader.4th
7.  umount /dev/vn0a;vnconfig -u vn0
8.  mkdir /usr/cd;cp boot.flp /usr/cd
9.  cp -R /bin /usr/cd;cp -R /etc /usr/cd;cp -R /sbin /usr/cd
10.  pico -w /usr/cd/etc/fstab to mount acd0 as root.
11.  mkisofs -o burnthis.iso -b boot.flp cd
12.  Burn the ISO to a CD.
13.  boot the CD.

Okay, got that far.  But, it will load the kernel, then hang and say that
it cannot mount root device /dev/fd0.  This doesn't make any sense to me
becuase I specifically told fstab on the cd to use the cdrom as root.  Am
I stupid or something?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Rick Duvall