Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:10:25 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Tony McC <afmcc@btinternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: flashplugin

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:53:18 +0000, Tony McC <afmcc@btinternet.com> wrote:
> You seem to want everything to just work without
> having to think about it, so perhaps Windows would be better for you?
> [...]
> But my
> guess is that you really would be happier and more productive with a
> Windows OS.  That isn't meant to be a "please go away and let us get on
> with using FreeBSD", it is an honest reaction to the pain and confusion
> you seem to cause yourself as you randomly try things in FreeBSD.

In "Windows", things don't work without thinking. The
misbelief that is does is grounded in the fact that
other people have to deal with problems, while the
user praises "Windows" for its easyness of use.

In PJ's case, maybe PC-BSD is a good choice. As far as
I know, they offer a working "Flash" plugin that can
be installed by their PBI system. I haven't tested
this because PC-BSD with its KDE centric concept simply
isn't my cup of tea, but that doesn't mean that it's
not a good OS - hey, it's still FreeBSD. :-)

Tony, I can understand that you might get the impression
that PJ doesn't have a full understanding of the concepts
and procedures needed to know in order to properly operate
FreeBSD. This may be true. But he's constantly learning
and understanding, and I think even with the troubles he
likes to use FreeBSD (PJ, correct me if I'm wrong).

When I came to FreeBSD (from a Linux and WEGA background,
with lots of "strange" mainframe knowledge), I had similar
trouble. I had many issues with C, too, before it became
my primary programming language, but the fact that I can
master FreeBSD now (at a sufficient level) is due to the
fact that I had much good help, especially from this list,
as well as much practice. Recognizing and resolving library
requirements can surely be such a step into the right
direction. It's not a state, it's a process.

In the future, PJ will not only know that things work, but
additionally understand *how* and *why* they work, and this
will make him a master of FreeBSD, too.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany