Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:20:39 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
To:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Cc:        jmg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sparc slowdown - problem identified...

Hi all,

it seems I have identified which commit causes the slow down on some
sparcs. The kernel from just before that commit works just fine, the
kernel from just after it is 3x slower on my Ultra-10 (as was also
reported by others). I have no idea why that happens. The only difference
in the time -l report is user and system time going up by a factor of
three and the involuntary context switches doubling.

It is also not (easily) possible to revert that commit, because of other
changes (for example, pci.c:1.220). When I simply revert the change, the
machine gets a missed data trap when accessing register 14 on non-existing
slots, when I add register 14 in the if() at the start of
psycho_read_config, the machine freezes after finding pci1.

Could please someone of the low-level sparc experts look at the problem?

While doing my binary search I also noted a gradual shift in performace
with time in the order of 5% (performance getting worse) in two month.
Wouldn't it be feasable to, let's say, run once or twice a week two simple
benchmarks (one disk bound, the other cpu bound) on a fresh kernel and
have the results available on a web-site, so that we can note such
performance shifts?

Regards,
harti
--