Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:15:15 +0100
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Configuring an older server for speed...

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 08:26:16 -0700
"Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff@gmail.com> wrote:

>  However, I'll look up the diskd docs for
> squid, and see what that's all about.

I'm not sure that diskd is still preferred for FreeBSD. The three
cache types: ufs,aufs and diskd are all the same on disk. diskd is ufs
with extra processes to handle disk access, aufs uses threads instead.

The reason for using diskd was that earlier versions FreeBSD had poor
threading support, but good shared memory support. From what I've
read on the squid mailing list, aufs with libthr is being recommended
these days. libthr is the default on FreeBSD 7, you need a libmap.conf
entry on FreeBSD 6.