Date:      Sat, 01 Mar 1997 13:46:30 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        "David S. Miller" <davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: overview of socket hashing changes, plus new patch

David (Miller)
Are you on any FreeBSD lists..?

There has been some discussion going on and I am so encouraged
by what seems like a civilised proffesional dialog between Linux
and BSD camps on this topic that I just want to make sure that
we endevour to keep the lines of communications open.

I spoke with Alan Cox (and Linus) at USENIX, and from what he told
me it seems that the linux and BSD systems have now very similar
philosophies in how they approach networking.. It seems to me
that Alan and others involved (such as yourself) have very
carefully examined the "grand old lady" of networking (the BSD
stuff) and are detirmined to learn from our mistakes and improve
on what is good about it.

 This is EXACTLY what we in BSD want!

The original Linux networking seemed to us a bit of a slap in
the face, ("You guys don't know what you are doing, we can do
it better in Linux and further more we don't want to talk to
you about it") The new attitude and work is a breath of
fresh air and I hope it leads to a friendly air of competative
co-operation.
Maybe we can even make some efforts to deliberatly
widen the dialogue, and make it more frequent.

BSD networking is not "the last word". It has been very much
a "work in progress" for the last 15 years and will continue to
be so for many more.  We respect good work from any source and
are happy when our work is useful to others, whether
as a benchmark, a direct source, or a learning tool.

I'm not speaking "officially" for the various people involved in
BSD, but I know I'm speaking the thoughts of many I personally
know.

julian

p.s.