Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 1996 14:24:35 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cut-N-Paste oddity with XFree86/Xterm

On other operating systems I've used (namely Ultrix, OSF/1 and Solaris)
when cutting and pasting between xterm windows (something I do quite
often) they would usually preserve the white space correctly.  However,
my most recent workstation is in FreeBSD, and I've since noticed that for
some unknown reason random bits of space are ADDED to the end of lines
periodically.  Specifically if the line happens to be short.  This is
rather disasterous as I do a bit of pasting of blocks of text terminated
with a period, 9.9 times out of 10 I will pull from an xterm window
(in nvi) where the line is simply "." (or in regexp-ese "^\.$"), yet when
it is pasted into the other window it is received as "^\.          $".
Is there any reason for this!?  The behavior is most definitely
centralized somewhere in the x-term/XF86 implementation of the
cut-n-paste buffer, is it something that can be fixed?  It is rather
frustrating to have to manually enter the period to make sure that it is
JUST a period, not a period, space and then a CRLF...

-Brandon Gillespie-