Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 1997 21:16:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Nathan Vidican <nate@mnsi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Nathan Vidican wrote:

> Dear FreeBSd list,
>
> I am a new freebsd user. I just installed FreeBSd 2.2.2, I have limited
> knowledge of the unix O/S, but am a fast learner. I have a few problems
> thus far though, and I would like to know if you can help answer my
> questions (listed below):
We've all been there.  If you think your questions are stupid, consider it
retribution to those of us who asked stupid questions before, and are on
the lists now.  Not that I know anyone like that....  ;)

> 1- When I press F2 for FreeBSd, the boot MGR gives me "F?" why? (I have
> been able to use the boot disk, and boot the kernel from the hardrive
> though, and I have tried "fsck", but still nothing?, have been using:
> wd(o,a)kernel  when i get boot: on the boot floppie)
It never rains, but it pours.  As a few guesses;
1) the partition isn't bootable.
2) it's too big for the BIOS to reference
3) something's wrong with your root partition.
4) I don't have a clue.

> 2- How do i execute a browser, I have gotten PPP connections going, just
> cannot seem to execute a browser, I have both Mosaic, and Lynx installed in
> /usr/ports/www ? (I think?)
If it's in /usr/ports, it's not installed.  you'll need to do this (as
root)
cd /usr/ports/www/lynx
make ; make install
This will pull down the code, compile, and install the packages for you.
Note that for Netscape or Mosaic you will need to have XWindows up.

> 3- How do I check my e-mail? is there a good graphical software that
> someone knows of that is ported for freebsd? if so, where can i get it?
You can probably find a way to use Netscape's mail program.  I use pine,
some people use emacs, elm, mutt, exmh, or a million other programs.  Get
a concensus from the list on that one (jump in guys)

> 4- When using "mail" to send mail, how does one send, I can enter the
> subject, and then type a message, but then what? I also tried this "mail
> whoever@isp.net >>somethng.txt" (using ee to create a txt file)
End with either a period (.) or a Ctrl-D (^D) on a new line.

> 5- When I use a username other than "root", why can't I write to anything?
> ee wouldn't let me save any txt files? to anywhere?
Check the permissions; make sure the user you are has write permission to
the directory;
(let's say your username is user)
cd /home
chmown -R user user
chmod -R 755 user
user being both your username and the name of your home directory (the
default)
then (still as root)
cd /
chmod 4777 tmp

> 6- how does one config, then execute the x-windows GUI?
Read through the RELNOTES and REAME's in the XFree86 directory on
ftp.freebsd.org; they're pretty complete.  If you have specific questions,
you can relay them through.

> 7- how do i run ircII? i can execute irc, but cannot seem to connect?
ummm...   This I don't know about.  a few points, tho:
Any firewalls between you and the IRC server?
IRC server setup right?
IRC client (what you're running) setup right?
I don't know much about IRC setup, so someone else will have to jump in on
this one.

> 8- when using ppp, how does one leave the connection, "shell"? if i do
> this, will the connection remain active, how do programs based for the
> internet know if I am connected or not?
If you shell out, the connection won't work right.  You'll have to start
ppp on a different vty (say, Alt-F3), and when you establish the
connection, leave it there and do your work from a different vty (Alt-F1
or F2, unless you've changes /etc/ttys for more than 3 vtys)

> 9- how does one setup Apache? I have the port installed, (also have the
> Perl for it)
With the port installed, there should be documentation with it that says
where the config files are.  Is the port actually installed? (the make ;
make install thingy mentioned above)?

> 10- last, but not least, is "perl" the perl5.003 compiler that came in the
> ports collection? case almost all the perl apps won't work with it?
This also I don't know about, other than the standard things to check;
permissions? libraries it depends on? path settings?

> Nathan Vidican
> 1 (519) 728-4190
> nate@mnsi.net
> Diamond_C of Dalnet, (IRC)

Hope it helps!!

|       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
* "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
| that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
*    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
|      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |