Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:56:46 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
To:        "Zaitsau, Andrei" <AZaitsau@panasonicfa.com>
Cc:        "'Roop Nanuwa'" <roop@gw.carpoolbc.com>, Anthony Rubin <tonyr@generalsearch.net>, Anthony Fox <adf5j@cs.virginia.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: two ethernets, nat, firewall

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Zaitsau, Andrei wrote:

> Hold on...
> He said he has 2 NICs on the same IRQ in in one box this probably coups the
> problem.

That shouldn't be a problem because he said they are PCI cards which can
share IRQs.  I assume that the "link" light is on?

> I believe he should first be able "to see other machines" before bring up
> NAT and IPFW to work..

Yes, that is a good idea.  But I believe his problem is with routing.  The
default route is probably set to the modem.  There needs to be an
additional static route to the internal network.

Try adding the following to /etc/rc.conf (after defaultrouter):

static_routes="homenet"
route_homenet="192.168.0.0/24 192.168.0.1 -interface"

...and then see if you can "see other machines".  Make sure your routing
table is correct (netstat -rn).

--

 :{ andyf@speednet.com.au

        Andy Farkas