Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:24:46 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Attempting to install 2.2 with Etherlink III

I'm trying to install FreeBSD-2.2 on a Pentium with NCR SCSI and
a 3com 3c509B-C.  After disabling the wt driver so that it didn't
detect the 3com as a tape drive, the 3c509 probes as follows:

1 3C5x9 board(s) on ISA found at 0x300
ep0 at 0x300-0x30f irq 10 on ISA
ep0: aui/utp/bnc[*AUI*] address 00:20:af:4f:6b:88

Things looked like they were doing OK, until it tried to access the FTP
server.  It actually managed to do a little talking to the FTP server
(it got the banner and one time it managed to send the USER message and
get the response), but it always ends up saying:

Couldn't open FTP connection to beta.xerox.com:
  Unknown error.

Now, I know it's managing to send at least a few packets, since it
resolves beta.xerox.com and it sometimes opens the TCP connection, but
I can't ping it, implying that there's something hokey going on with
the ethernet card.

Is there anything special that I can do with the 3c509 to get it to
work, or should I go out and find a real ethernet card?  Is there any
way to find out how the 3c509 is configured; I just got this machine
handed to me without any real info and I wiped the Linux partition
before I realized I might need the configuration info from it.  My
vague suspicion is that the IRQ is wrong.

Thanks,
  Bill