Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2013 14:27:34 +0000
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net>
Cc:        Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>, yudi v <yudi.tux@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Erich Dollansky <erich@alogt.com>
Subject:   Re: UPS buying suggestion

Of_Interest: With 27 years  of service  to the  Unix  community.

	gotta speak up:: my comments at bottom...

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 04:12:31PM -1000, Al Plant wrote:
> Erich Dollansky wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:44:52 -1000
> >Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net> wrote:

> >Aloha,
> >>I have 4 battery backups that I think are the older big brother of
> >>the one that Eric is using. APC 900. I have replaced the batteries
> >>with external Stationary Batteries. (Look like truck batteries, but
> >>have small bolt on connections for backup systems.) I have them
> >>hooked up in a cage beside the backups  in my shed. I have used the
> >>backups for up to 10 hours of uptime as a test.
> >
> >how long does it take to recharge the battery?
> >>Here in Hawaii on Oahu island where I live, power outages are
> >>common.
> >
> >The moment the name of an island sound so good that you want to live on
> >it, they have problems with electricity. I am currently in Bali which
> >is not so bad but Jawa is real bad if you do not live near the power
> >station.
> >
> >>Many people have installed solar now since a car hitting an
> >>electric pole is almost a daily problem. As is a contractor
> >>digging and
> >>breaking cables. Corroded fuses blowing on power line transformers
> >>are also a major problem on any Pacific island. One of my clients
> >>went down for 7 hours during the busy time last week for business.
> >>They do have backup for gracefully shutting down computers that lasts
> >>about 30 minutes, so they can get the customers cashed out with their
> >>purchases,
> >>
> >What are 7h down-time? Just a coffee break. It happens in Jawa very
> >often. Diesel generators are a good investment there.
> >
> >Erich
> >>~Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii -  Phone:  808-284-2740
> >>   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
> >>   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
> >>   < email: noc@hdk5.net >
> >>"All that's really worth doing is what we do for others."- Lewis
> >>Carrol

> Yes the price of paradise!~
>
> Two transformers blew. The 2nd when the first went back on line and
> they take about 3 and a half hours to replace.
>
> --
>
> ~Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii -  Phone:  808-284-2740
>   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
>   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
>   < email: noc@hdk5.net >
> "All that's really worth doing is what we do for others."- Lewis Carrol

	first, aloha, Al.  been a long time.

	in the years that I have run my own domain, the biggest single prob
	I have had was power-outs.  I started with one 286 and a huge 5meg
	drive!  eventually moved to a 386 and had somewhere to back up my
	data.  that wasn't perfect, but it saved me and a few people in the
	wilds of Wisconsin until we moved to Seattle.

	eventually I sprung for a "smart" APC UPS. had backups, etc.
	nothing's perfect, and a power-out around 03:00 ruined the
	best plans of mice and man.  long-story-short, a friend eventually
	put in two new batteries and he also put in a 7kW gas generator.
	---true, the weather here is just damp, miserable, and chilly.  but
	the winds and blow branches down.  drunks hit power poles. ETc.

	when the 9.0 or larger quake destroys everything, well, I'll be
	gone so no probs.  {they keep finding new faults, but I'm too old
	to give a shi*t.}

	Ah life! what would we do without it?

	gary.

	3 DElls, one UPS, one 8-port network switch, 4-port KVM switch,
	and a 4-watt netgate pfSense firewall.  ---all waiting for the
	Big one to do le grand snuff, :_)

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
             Twenty-seven years of service to the Unix community.