Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 1996 16:13:08 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Stephen Fisher <lithium@cia-g.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode

Hi all.  Maybe you could help me figure out what's giving me these
problems.  On this particular computer I get these kind of errors a *lot*,
almost always with the same instruction pointer.  (This is running 2.1.5R,
I had the same problems with 2.1R).  Sometimes the machine will even
"Freeze" and reboot in the middle of doing something with no warning..:]

--
Fatal tral 12: page fault while in kernel mode
Fault virtual address	= 0xfc7

As I said it almost always happens on the same instruction pointer.  The
process can be anything but it usually occurs with gcc (such as when
compiling the kernel, I can't even get a minute or two into the compile).

Hardware: 16meg of parity ram, AMD DX4/100, SiS 85c471 chipset motherboard
(ick!) with VLB bus, Adaptec 284x SCSI controller, S3 video card, etc. I
will most likely be replacing the motherboard with a better one, but I
would like to know if this is going to fix it?

Thanks for any tips, pointers, ideas you can give me.. Forgive me if I
type of message is not welcome in one or both of these mailing lists.

 - Steve
  - Systems Manager
  - Community Internet Access
  - http://www.cia-g.com