Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2000 23:28:58 +0200
From:      Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISA pcmcia bridge; Intel i82365 not working in 4.0

On Sat, Apr 08, 2000 at 01:09:08AM -0700, robert bowen wrote:
> You might try setting just "device pcic0" with no
> arguments in your kernel config file to cause it to use
> polling mode. It solved a lot of problems for me, and it
> seems that I'm not the only one.
>
> Robert
>
> Quoting Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>:

At present i can say the same with my Inspiron 3500, which has a
TI PCI-1220 PCI-CardBus Bridge. The same setup which worked
perfectly under FreeBSD-3.3+PAO does not see any insertion
or removal events ( It was IRQ 11, port 0x3e0 ) . If i boot with
the card, it is recognized, but the removal event does not appear.
I have tried various other combinations of IRQ and port without success.
However in polling mode, everything works OK. Note that, after
having recompiled kernel to polling mode i have seen for the first
time silo overflows on my machine. Don't know if it is perfectly
correlated, because it appeared just on one connection.

By the way i have just tested wether parallel port Zip works
under FreeBSD 4.0-Release on laptop. The answer is yes (and i have propagated
false information from other messages) here is my dmesg:
ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (EPP/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
vpo0: <Iomega VPI0 Parallel to SCSI interface> on ppbus0
vpo0: EPP 1.9 mode
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
da0 at vpo0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
da0: <IOMEGA ZIP 100 D.09> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 96MB (196608 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 96C)

Note that (and it was the same in 3.3) i had to put the port
in EPP mode for this to work. Fortunately the bios has this option
here. Under ECP mode (if i remember correctly) the probe did not
succeed.

--
Michel Talon