Date:      Sat, 5 Mar 2011 12:14:43 -0800
From:      Rem P Roberti <remegius@comcast.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Printer Offline

I have a printer, which was installed and is working under CUPS, that seems
to go offline of its own accord.  And when that happens I have found no
other option than to reboot.  I know, I know...you should never have to
reboot, but that's the only thing that seems to work.  When I check out
localhost:631 everything looks good, and all the uncompleted jobs are
there patiently waiting to get processed.  But, as I said, the jobs
can't get done without a reboot.  When I do reboot, just before the
login prompt shows up, the printer jumps into action and all of the
uncompleted jobs get processed.  I should also point out that
immediately after reboot the printer works flawlessly, printing on
demand.  It is only after being idle for a while that it just seems to
go offline, without any warning.

Rem