Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2014 20:36:06 +0200
From:      wishmaster <artemrts@ukr.net>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: netmap, VALE and netmap pipes

Thanks, prof. Luigi.

As for me, netmap-ipfw is especially interesting. Would you like add some examples for userspace bundle of ipfw and dummynet. Because not all clear in README-file.

E.g. I have classic router with 2 interfaces igb

>From README-file

             s       f               f       d
[pkt-gen]-->--[valeA]-->--[kipfw]-->--[valeB]-->--[pkt-gen]

The commands to run (in separate windows) are

### this is clear
# preliminarly, load the netmap module
sudo kldload netmap.ko

### what with vale? how i should connect real interfaces to vale switch?
# connect the firewall to two vale switches
./kipfw valeA:f valeB:f &

### it's clear
# configure ipfw/dummynet
ipfw/ipfw show # or other

### with real packets flow i think this is no needed. My mistake?
# start the sink
pkt-gen -i valeB:d -f rx

# start an infinite source
pkt-gen -i valeA:s -f tx

### it's clear
# plain again with the firewall and enjoy
ipfw/ipfw show # or other

I think one real small example will be useful for everybody.

Thanks for this great tool.

--
Cheers,