Date:      Mon, 09 Jan 2006 07:10:44 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Flash Petition (Was Re: FreeBSD as a Desktop Article)

Nikolas Britton wrote:

>On 1/8/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

>>>It may be trivial but at least I did something to rectify it. Talking
>>>about are problems will get us nowhere unless we also do. Do you have
>>>a better plan of action?
>>>

>>The problem is, anyone can sign a petition, even those that don't, nor
>>will ever, use the software, which is what makes them meaningless :(
>>
>>You really need to get someone on the inside that is using FreeBSD and
>>push from that direction ... unless its a product you can pay for, and
>>then you make the dollars speak for you ...
>>

>I make all IT, purchasing, decisions at my company. I suspect most
>other senior IT folk also make or have strong influence in,
>purchasing, decisions at their company's. What are the demographics
>for people who use FreeBSD? I suspect a higher then normal percentage
>of senior IT folk make up the ranks. Here's an excellent example of
>the point I'm trying to make: Last year my company wanted to build a
>flash website. I put my foot down and said no, not everyone can use or
>see flash websites. Macromedia lost a $999 dollar sale.

Same here - I also host several domains on a colocated server, and I
tell everyone who is getting a site done to refuse flash for their
website creation.  I point them in other directions, and cite that flash
is not visible to everyone.  I'm sure I've stopped the sale of at least
10 macromedia sales, not to mention the sites that use flash to display
product information losing business from those of us that are using a
FreeBSD desktop and want to order something online.  I get frustrated,
and find another site selling the product, or skip the purchase altogether.

Eric