Date:      Fri, 16 May 2008 16:39:03 -0700
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Gabriel Engel <gabriel.engel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java 1.4 on a FreeBSD 7

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 10:47:44AM +0100, Gabriel Engel wrote:
> Did anyone manage to install Java 2 JDK 1.4.2 in a FreeBSD 7?
>
> I really need a payment service form SecureTrading, and it doesn't work on
> version 1.5.
>
> Any ideas?

Your choices are:

1. Install linux-sun-jdk14 (or another Linux JDK 1.4).
2. Install a jdk14 package for FreeBSD 6.x and also install misc/compat6x.
3. Hack on the jdk14 source until gcc 4.x is happy with it (many of the
   changes you need to make will show up in the jdk15 source).  The main
   issue is the HotSpot C++ code.
4. Hack on the jdk14 source so that it can be compiled with a compiler
   whose executable is called e.g. gcc34/g++34 rather than gcc/g++ and make
   the port depend on an older gcc port on 7.x.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org