Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2014 19:34:03 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Jason Healy <jhealy@logn.net>
Subject:   Re: IPv6 routes leaking between FIBs?

> On 29 Dec 2014, at 19:17 , Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> On 12/30/14 1:59 AM, Jason Healy wrote:
>> On Dec 29, 2014, at 1:28 AM, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> =
wrote:
>>=20
>>> to some extent this is what it was written for.. teh fib code was =
written for Ironport/Cisco for separating the management port from the =
data ports onn their appliances, however the VNET code that came later =
is an even cleaner way of doing it and FIBs were only used by Ironport =
because VNET was not yet available.    Have you tried vnet jails for =
interface isolation?
>> I freely admit that I haven=92t.  I=92m just coming over to FreeBSD =
and while I=92m aware of jails, I thought of them more as service =
isolation than for routing.
>>=20
>> I=92m searching around for a moment, and I=92m not 100% sure this is =
going to work for my use case.  Can you confirm that jails would be the =
most appropriate way to solve my problem?  These are the major =
requirements:
>>=20
>>  - A router/firewall that will perform NAT from an internal RFC1918 =
space to public IPv4, as well as stateful firewalling of IPv6 packets =
passed to it.
>>=20
>>  - 3 interfaces:
>>    1) Transit interface (10g, packets to/from PF are received/sent on =
this interface)
>>    2) PFsync (to connect to a second box for active-active PF)
>>    3) Management (LAN side only)
> the only hitch may be the pfsync stuff.. I have no idea about how =
virtualised that is and I never use pf..or pfsync.

pf and VNETs are a cause for panic at the moment;  don=92t go that route =
(yet).

> Basically you can assign a complatly separate network stack to teh =
management interface, (or the other ones)
> and run whatever the appliation is in the jail..  it's still possible =
to communicate with the jailed processes using shared files or fifos, =
but they have a completely separate network stack and are therefore =
completely unaware of the management interface.
> Each jail (if enabled with vnet option) has itsl own interfaces, =
routing tables, firewall(s) etc.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>>  - Separate routing tables for the transit and management interfaces, =
so that the transit interface can have a default route that is distinct =
from that of the management network.
>>=20
>> It sounds to me that if I ran this as a jail, I=92d need to throw the =
10g transit interface and the pfsync interface into the jail, and leave =
the management interface on the host.  I=92d probably need to run PF in =
the jail as well?  Or are we just using the jail to isolate the routing =
tables, and I=92d still run PF on the host?
>>=20
>> I=92m happy to provide more details on the setup in case there=92s a =
better way to architect this.  I=92m a Debian/OpenBSD guy, so I=92m =
sorry if I don=92t have all the terminology sorted out yet...
>>=20
>> I will still file a bug against the FIB code, as it sounds like =
that=92s not working as intended/designed.