Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 02:21:52 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        ben@rosengart.com
Cc:        "Dag-Erling C. Smrgrav" <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shouting in a void?

> I'm tired of jumping through hoops.  I'm going pretty far out of my way
> to be helpful to the FreeBSD project and to myself by spotting problems
> in 3.0-alpha^H^H^H^H^Hbeta, and all I hear is that I'm not doing enough.

Now now, calm down.  Perhaps the real problem is that you're not
really cut out for running -current and we simply have a personnel
mis-match problem here.  And do hang on, before you get your back-fur
all standing on end, and let me just clarify what I meant by that,
subtracting out as best I can the usual pejorative implications of
saying "you're not cut out for xyz" (e.g. "you wimp!").

I mean nothing of the kind, and simply state the very plain and simple
fact that -current is not for everyone, not even relatively close to
release time (that being usually when some of the most frenetic
activity of all takes place, in fact).  It does occasionally happen
that someone wanders in who's NOT well-versed in the process of
jumping through hoops and doesn't quite know that hoop-jumping is,
indeed, an integral part of the process of getting into BETA testing
at all.  Consider it now stated explicitly.

We're not out to alienate users, but we *are* after a certain calibre
of tester here and I think maybe you might have inadvertantly wandered
into the wrong line, that's all.  It's no biggie and your manhood will
be in no way diminished if you jump back into -stable, believe me! :-).
Indeed, I have told a number of people who scarcely lacked for clues
(who were, in fact, quite a bit smarter than I am) to stick to -stable
and NOT to run -current or any of our dot-zero releases because I
happened to know for a fact that they had better things to do with
their time and, if they even tried to participate, would only become
rapidly frustrated and annoyed at the various bumps in the road and
the extra email and all the other hassles that go with the process and
they'd probably just end up flaming somebody.  It's a dead loss all
around when something like that happens, so you really don't want to
recommend it.

> Is core interested in a stable 3.0-RELEASE or is the idea just to
> alienate enough users that the complaint volume is low anyway?

No, we simply recommend that some people stick with -stable, even if
it hasn't got all the bells-and-whistles they might be looking for,
and avoid -current if they're not willing to put up with some truly
rough road occasionally.  - stable has its occasional bumps as well
(re: the recent ipfw stuff) but nothing like "E-day" or "C-day" and if
there were any WORSE time for someone to wander inadvertantly into the
-current zone, I can't think of one offhand. :-) There will be more
than ample time later for the second-wave folks to jump on the 3.0
bandwagon, ideally at a time when the wagon is moving at a much less
frenetic pace than it is now.  And it will.  Patience.

- Jordan