Date:      Mon, 8 May 2000 20:05:29 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Ryan Moser <ryno@whack.org>
Cc:        Aleksandar Simic <alex@frustum.clara.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mixer trouble

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 10:52:09AM -0700, Ryan Moser wrote:
> i have the exact same card. it took me a month or so to figure out the
> lines to put in my kernel. the tricky part is you have to have the isa
> support even thought it is a pci sound card???

Huh?

> here are the lines that i put into my kernel
>
> device          pcm0 at isa? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
> device          pca0 at isa? port IO_TIMER1

I have a SB PCI128 and the only line in my config file is

device pcm

and the card is found as

pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> port 0x6800-0x683f irq 11 at device 11.0 on pci0

The only other thing I had to do was ``cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV snd0'' and
check the vol and pcm levels in the mixer.

> this makes xmms play mp3's but i'm still unable to cat sounds to
> /dev/audio everything else sounds great though
>
> because it took me so long to do i hope this works
>

> On Sun, 7 May 2000, Aleksandar Simic wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just installed Sound Blaster 128 pci sound card under FreeBSD
> > 4.0.
> >
> > dmesg output :
> >
> > pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> port 0x1000-0x103f irq 10 at device 14.0 on
> > pci0
> >
> > Then I did:
> >
> > # cd /dev
> > # ./MAKEDEV snd0
> >
> > (I've also tried making snd1 before making snd0 but then mixer
> > wouldn't work at all, I then deleted mixer1 and made snd0)
> >
> > Then when I run mixer I get the appropriate values:
> >
> > Mixer vol      is currently set to  80:80
> > Mixer pcm      is currently set to  81:81
> > Mixer speaker  is currently set to  80:80
> > Mixer line     is currently set to  78:78
> > Mixer mic      is currently set to  84:84
> > Mixer cd       is currently set to  78:78
> > Mixer rec      is currently set to  73:73
> > Mixer line1    is currently set to  78:78
> > Mixer video    is currently set to  78:78
> >
> > (I set them via "mixer vol <num> cd <num> ... from /etc/rc.local )
> >
> > But when I try to play CD's using wmcdplay -d /dev/acd0c or mp3's with
> > xmms, no sound comes out of speakers. But if I connect my earphones
> > directly to the CD drive I can hear the CD's normally.
> >
> > I have checked my cable connections and they are all in order.
> >
> > When I did the above mentioned steps under 3.4 sound worked but now it
> > doesn't. If you can help me I would be very grateful.
> >
> > -Alex

        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX