Date:      Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:14:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        kiffin@gish.demon.nl (Kiffin Gish)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to access filesystem on 2nd disk ...

> On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 09:57 -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> > >
> > > I installed freeBSD 5.4 on a system with two hard disks, which I plan to
> > > use as a dedicated fileserver, and following the default sysinstall
> > > setup I have this:
> > >
> > > root@fileserver# df -h
> > > Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > > /dev/ad0s1a    248M     35M    193M    15%    /
> > > devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
> > > /dev/ad0s1e    248M     12K    228M     0%    /tmp
> > > /dev/ad0s1f     35G    573M     31G     2%    /usr
> > > /dev/ad0s1d    248M    1.4M    226M     1%    /var
> > >
> > > I have three questions:
> > >
> > > 1/ What's the best way to partition my second 20MB hard disk?
> >
> > Well, if it is really only a 20MB drive, I certainly wouldn't
> > break it up at all.
> > But, if it is really 20GB or something like that - your ad0 looks
> > like it is a nominal 36GB or maybe a 40 GB - then it really depends
> > on what you are doing.
> >

> Yes I meant 20MB of course (sorry). Megabytes, megabytes, megabytes.

????-GB-????

> > > 2/ Should I dedicate the whole thing to one mount point, say
> > > called /extra?
> >
> > That would not be a bad choice, expecially if you have a backup device
> > that will hold the whole drive.   The only real reasons to break it up
> > are to facilitate backup/recovery and to isolate things.
> >

> Actually I want to use it for backing up other systems, perhaps even on
> a per person basis, storing files like images, MP3s, MPEGs, etc. Maybe
> even using it as a Samba server and/or streaming music server.

Well, in that case, it might not be a bad idea to make a partition
for each person.  But, there are not so many partitions available
 - only a-h.  If you have less than 8 people, it would work, but
if you have more, then you might want to explore chroot and jails
to keep them isolated.

> > > 3/ Do I also need swap space on the 2nd drive?
> >
> > That would be a good idea, but it is not required.   It is a
> > reasonable idea to split your swap over all your drives, but
> > there is nothing that makes that mandatory.
>
> I read somewhere that one should 'always' have a swap area available on
> every drive in case the kernel crashes.

That would probably be every boot drive/slice.   For a kernel crash,
having swap on a different drive probably is less relevent.

////jerry