Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2008 18:24:52 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, DA Forsyth <iwrtech@iwr.ru.ac.za>
Subject:   Re: xRAID disks....

Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>> I recently removed one pair of disks from a windows "hardware :)"
>> RAID controller, and upon inserting it into a newly built FreeBSD
>> system, it was immediately detected by the ar driver, and messages
>> started coming in, like
>
> is there actually any difference in ar and gmirror/gstripe except that
> ar is simpler, takes only whole drives and use "hardware RAID ;)"
> compatible headers ?
>
>> make the disks forget about their previous RAID-life:
>>
>> atacontrol delete ar0
>>
>> Have a look at man atacontrol. I have not tried it, but it is
>> probably worth a try.

I've used gmirror on several occasions, and it works well for me. I have
never used ar, but as I understand this is limited to ata disks (hence
ar=atapi raid). The geom framework probably provides a lot more features
and is not limited the way ar is. I would not mind using ar in this
particular system, but I moved disks one by one, erasing the first one
(ar was still complaining about the other one missing after I erased it)
and when I later added the second one, I got a kernel panic. Mind you,
the ar "signature" or whatever was written in a windows system and may
not have been exactly compatible. I removed ar from the kernel and
continued with my usual gmirror stuff (which works flawlessly)