Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 23:19:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      mvanstee <maurice@baserv.uci.kun.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with 3.1 install

Hi there

I tried the mailing lists, the archives and #freebsd - no answer.

I tried to install 3.1 on a Cyrx M2/300, 64 M RAM, 6.4 G WD Hard drive,
Diamond Fire GL1000 Pro, Creative Vibra 16 PnP soundcard all on an Asus
P5A-B mainboard. The install hangs at "Probing for devices" etc.
I am currently running 2.2.8 RELEASE which installed just fine. It did
show the hang problem when trying to boot woth a configured kernel but the
generic worked just fine.  If i'm correct the soundcard wasn;t in the
system when i installed 2.2.8.
Is is possible that the PnP card somehow screws up the probing process,
causing it to hang? I'm curious if others have this problem.
I'll rempve the sound card and try again.

Thank you

Maurice van Steensel

When you are about to do an objective and scientific piece of
investigation of a topic, it is well to gave the answer firmly in hand,
so that you can proceed forthrightly, without being deflected or
swayed, directly to the goal.
		-- Amrom Katz