Date:      Sun, 09 Jul 2000 16:48:24 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        papowell@astart.com
Cc:        drosih@rpi.edu, imp@village.org, andrews@technologist.com, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, sheldonh@uunet.co.za, will@almanac.yi.org
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? - License Issues

papowell@astart.com wrote:

> Let me try to state this as clearly as possible:

	. . .

> What is wrong with retaining the ability to display copyright
> information from the command line options?  What undue burden does
> it place on commercial users of FreeBSD?  And if they modify the
> code,  wouldn't it be good Systems Engineering Practice to have
> some way to verify that?

	I don't think anyone objects to displaying the original copyright
information, and information on who modified what when a command line
option for that purpose is added to an lprng command. I don't think that
anyone would even object to it being included in usage(). From my
perspective, I think that some people misunderstood what you were asking
for, and thought that you wanted to display this information every time a
command was used. Myself, I was a bit confused about exactly what you were
asking for, and I appreciate you clearing it up.

Doug