Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2016 12:14:56 +0100
From:      Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de>
To:        Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASM1062 AHCI timeouts, ppt(4) BAR aligning [Was: Re: svn commit: r309251 - head/sys/dev/ahci]

Bezüglich Alexander Motin's Nachricht vom 29.12.2016 11:32 (localtime):
> On 29.12.2016 10:35, Harry Schmalzbauer wrote:
>> I'd like to report that this doesn't fix timeouts for me (applied to
>> 11-stable).
>>
>> For example my REV120 works without problems on Intel-AHCI but not on
>> ASM1062-AHCI.
>> Even attaching gives different output. Both look fine at first:
>> #    cd0 at ahcich0 bus 0 scbus5 target 0 lun 0
>> #    cd0: <Iomega RRD3 M079> Removable CD-ROM SCSI device
>> #    cd0: Serial Number 0C1E4D046E5DFF18
>> #    cd0: 150.000MB/s transfers (SATA 1.x, UDMA5, ATAPI 12bytes, PIO
>> 8192bytes)
>>
>> When attached to the Intel-AHCI, it's followed by
>> +    cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
>> while attaching to ASM1062 it reads (!?)
>> -    cd0: 0MB (1 0 byte sectors)
>>
>> Then these timeouts occur:
>> ahcich7: Timeout on slot 11 port 0
>> ahcich7: is 00000000 cs 00000c00 ss 00000000 rs 00000c00 tfd 6051 serr
>> 00000000 cmd 0004cb17
>> ahcich7: Timeout on slot 24 port 0
>> ahcich7: is 00000000 cs 01800000 ss 00000000 rs 01800000 tfd 2051 serr
>> 00000000 cmd 0004d817
>> ahcich7: Timeout on slot 6 port 0
>> ahcich7: is 00000000 cs 00000060 ss 00000000 rs 00000060 tfd 2051 serr
>> 00000000 cmd 0004c617
>> ahcich7: Timeout on slot 20 port 0
>> ahcich7: is 00000000 cs 00180000 ss 00000000 rs 00180000 tfd 2051 serr
>> 00000000 cmd 0004d417
>>
>> Also IDENT (via camcontrol) "hangs" for 20 seconds, but finally succeeds.
>
> I think problem may be different in your case.  The HBA still reports
> that command is not completed by the device.  Unfortunately I don't have
> those fancy drives to try, but I'll try to reproduce it with regular CD
> drive when I get back home after short New Year holidays.

Oic, then I need to test the patch with regular SSD usage!
I have had problems with the asm1062 when I used it for a "roaming" SSD,
backing virtio-blk/ahci,hd:/dev/ada4. After some mentionable I/O there
were _always_ outages which I don't remember exactly, but moving the SSD
from asm-ahci to intel-ahci made them vanish.
I'll see if these are now solved for the ASM1062. Otherwise I'll report.

>> Btw: I already found out that extending ppt(4) to support unaligned base
>> address register wouldn't be too easy.
>> Initially I added that ASM1062 card to use it for byhve(8) passthrough.
>> Unfortunately that doesn't work:
>> bhyve: passthru device 6/0/0 BAR 5: base 0xc3e10000 or size 0x200 not
…

> I believe it is bhyve bug, since these values are just what hardware
> reports.  BAR size of 512 bytes indeed does not align to 4K, but that is
> not our problem. :)
>
>> Are there any recommendations for AHCI (SATA-PCIe) controller
>> cards/chips that do work (both, for byhve passthrough and also as plain
>> AHCI provider)?
>
> Please don't mix multiple unrelated questions in one email.

Yes, sorry, I should have sent that in two different mails. Took the
wrong route because I thought others who are possibly searching/trying
low-power SATA passthrough controllers could find this (useful)...

> There is very little reasonable external AHCI controllers on the market
> now.  I am not sure anything other then Marvell and ASmedia were
> released at all in last years since 6Gbps SATA came out.  Marvell and
> ASmedia probably worth each other, while later Marvell may be slightly
> better on functionality (number of ports and FBS PMP support), but they
> are both desktop products.  If you need this in server environment --
> think about about SAS adapter like LSI.  Or just use on-board Intel
> AHCI, since they are probably the best om reliability you may get out of
> SATA.

Thanks for your hints!
Usually I go with LSI2008 for such cases, but this time the additional
7W power consumption for only _one_ roaming SATA-SSD seemd
inappropriate. Furthermore, I only have one spare slot, so I got a card
with the ASM1062 and an Etron EJ168 USB 3.0 combined.

That was exactly what I'd want to have as passthrough for my guest :-)
Hopefully bhyve(8)/ppt will make that possible in the future.

Thanks,

-harry