Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 13:23:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Daniel Keller <dkeller@psln.com>
Subject:   Re: network questions/STB Virge supported?

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Daniel Keller wrote:

> Hi,
> I have 2 computers (or should if Gateway ever finishes building one :),
> One is a gw2k 486DX 33mhz with a Pentium 83mhz overdrive chip and 20meg
> RAM, a 1.44kps modem
> The other is a gw2k Pentium Pro 200mhz with 64meg RAM, a 3.36kps modem.
>
> The Pentium Pro has a STB Virge/Vx 3d graphics card with 8meg ram, will
> this card work with FreeBSD?

With FreeBSD? yes.  With XWindows?  I'm not sure.  The S3 server might.

> I am planning on adding a SMC Ethernet Combo card from gw2k to both, is
> this card supported?

Which model?  I'm not familiar with this.

> Both machines are running Windows95 and FreeBSD 2.2.1

No prob.

> Unfortunately the only knowledge of "networking" is setting up dialup ppp,
> so any help with the following questions would be greatly appreciated:
>
> 1) I want to be able to share a printer and files with both computers, how
> do I set this up?

This depends on what will be the clients.  It's possible, but multiple
paths are available.  If the FreeBSD machine will be serving the Win95
box, then definitely go Samba.  The other way is harder to handle.  In
either case Samba would be a good thing to install. It's in the ports
tree.  (samba talks Windows Networking.)

> 2) Is possible to be logged on to the internet on the computer with the
> 3.36 modem and have the other computer use the same modem for access to the
> internet (instead of using the 1.44 modem in it)?

Yes.

> 3) I would like to be able to connect the 2 machines regardless of witch OS
> each is running
> (FreeBSD -> FreeBSD,FreeBSD->Win95,Win95->FreeBSD) is this possible?

Win95-> FreeBSD requires other software.  It should work okay if FreeBSD
is the dialer.  See the Tutorials at http://www.freebsd.org for
instructions on setting this up.