Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:34:57 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Bob Giesen" <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
Cc:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: pw in script to create new user.

To all who responded I want to say thanks for your input.
I have gotten my script to work.
Now for the archives I am summarizing how the pw command works.

When FBSD is installed the PW command does not have it's
pw.conf option file. Pw stills works but you have no idea what
the defaults are and the command line gets full using the pw flags.
The first thing you should do if you want to use the pw command to
add users is to create the pw.conf file, do this by
entering  pw -D  this will create the /etc/pw.conf file.
The comments in the file are self explanatory.
I added the default group and the additional groups.

pw -D  =  create /etc/pw.conf file
pw adduser tom -m -c tom brown = tom =userid -m = create home directory -c
full name field
pw deluser tom -r = delete user tom   -r = remove home directory
pw showuser tom  = display this users entry in password file
pw showuser tom -P = display password info in human readable form
pw showuser -a  = display all entries in password file

The pw command can also be used for groups
pw addgroup networking
pw showgroup networking

The pw command can also change settings in the userid password file.

My /etc/pw.conf looks like this

#
# /etc/pw.conf - user/group configuration defaults
# created 01/20/2002  by Joe Barbish

# Password for new users? no=nologin yes=loginid none=blank random=random
defaultpasswd = "yes"

# Reuse gaps in uid sequence? (yes or no)
reuseuids = "yes"

# Reuse gaps in gid sequence? (yes or no)
reusegids = "yes"

# Path to the NIS passwd file (blank or 'no' for none)
nispasswd =

# Obtain default dotfiles from this directory
skeleton = "/usr/share/skel/"

# Mail this file to new user (/etc/newuser.msg or no)
newmail = "no"

# Log add/change/remove information in this file
logfile = "/var/log/userlog"

# Root directory in which $HOME directory is created
home = "/home"

# Colon separated list of directories containing valid shells
shellpath = "/bin"

# Comma separated list of available shells (without paths)
shells = "sh","csh","tcsh"

# Default shell (without path)
defaultshell = "sh"

# Default group (leave blank for new group per user)
defaultgroup = "network"

# Extra groups for new users
extragroups = "wheel"

# Default login class for new users
defaultclass = ""

# Range of valid default user ids
minuid = 1000
maxuid = 32000

# Range of valid default group ids
mingid = 1000
maxgid = 32000

# Days after which account expires (0=disabled)
expire_days = 0

# Days after which password expires (0=disabled)
password_days = 0

The script that the folks here helped me with.

#! /bin/sh

pw adduser tom -m -c testing -h 0 <<- EOD
	water
	EOD
# water is the password used for tom