Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 2009 22:17:42 +0000
From:      Paul Wootton <paul@fletchermoorland.co.uk>
To:        dougb@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   VirtualBox error if kernel module loader in /boot/loader.conf (WAS Re: Loading kernel modules for virtualbox via script)

  Doug Barton wrote:
> Leslie Jensen wrote:
>
>> On 2009-12-22 21:22, Doug Barton wrote:
>>
>>> The appropriate way to do this is to add them to /boot/loader.conf,
>>> like this:
>>>
>>> vboxdrv_load="yes"
>>> vboxnetflt_load="yes"
>>> vboxnetadp_load="yes"
>> Thanks for your answer.
>>
>> I did test to load the modules as you suggest. They do load but
>> virtualbox produces an error when starting a virtual machine.
>>

> If what you're saying is that you tried loading the modules in
> /boot/loader.conf and that produced an error, then you need to start a
> NEW thread on this list and describe what you did, and what the
> results are in detail. This method worked fine for me in 9-current, so
> if it's not working for you then we need to find out why.
>

>> I've tried to load vboxdrv and vboxnetflt via loader.conf and then load
>> vboxnetadp manually before starting virtualbox. That also produces the
>> error when starting a VM.

I too get an error on starting a VM if I try to load the modules from
/boot/loader.conf. For me, the loading of vboxnetflt does not seem to
work correctly. I dont load vboxnetadp, so I cant comment on that.

/boot/loader.conf
zfs_load="YES"
vboxdrv_load="YES"
vboxnetflt_load="YES"

If I try to start a VM that is using the "Bridged Ethernet" adapter, the
error I get is

"Failed to start the virtual machine Win Vista

Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-re0'
(VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND).

Failed to attach the network LUN
(VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND).

Unknown eror creating VM (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND).

Details
Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {0a51994b-cbc6-4686-94eb-d4e4023280e2}"

I know the module got loaded.
[paul@demophon /usr/home/paul]$ kldstat
Id Refs Address            Size     Name
 1   25 0xffffffff80100000 e7c540   kernel
 2    1 0xffffffff80f7d000 18a788   zfs.ko
 3    2 0xffffffff81108000 3778     opensolaris.ko
 4    2 0xffffffff8110d000 41e88    vboxdrv.ko
 5    1 0xffffffff8114f000 6960     vboxnetflt.ko
 6    1 0xffffffff81223000 38fc     linprocfs.ko
 7    1 0xffffffff81227000 1bcc4    linux.ko

If I then do a kldunload vboxnetflt followed by kldload vboxnetflt, I
can now start and stop my VMs to my heart's content.
Im using 9 CURRENT and I only started using /boot/loader.conf for the
vbox modules about a month back. The vboxnetflt module has never worked
correctly for me this way

Paul