Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:23:58 +0000
From:      "Lee Harr" <missive@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing ports witout internet

>I've always used FreeBSD on machines connected to the internet... so I
>have never experienced installing applications offline.
>
>My question is: Is it possible to install applications (using the port
>collection ) on a machine that's not connected to the internet?
>
>If yes, what are the requirements?

Possible? Of course. Fun? Not exactly.

Thing is, FreeBSD is designed to be connected to a network. Things
are so easy that I constantly amaze people with installing all
sorts of software just by typing a few words.

Once you disconnect from the network, you have to do all of the
dependency checking, downloading, transferring, building, etc
manually. It won't be fun.

Look at the man pages for the pkg_* tools and see what help is
there for determining dependencies and downloading tarballs, but
I really think you will be much happier if you can just connect
to the network.