Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:13:06 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, obrien@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Things to remove from /rescue

In message: <20030717080805.GA98878@dragon.nuxi.com>
            "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org> writes:
: - domainname, one does not need YP in the circumstances /rescue is meant
:   to address.

I'd agree of its marginality.

: - date, one can use a watch if they really want to know it is 5am and
:   their system is down.

Setting the time/date can be important at times, so keeping this would
be good.

: - sleep, this is what the admin wishes he was doing at 5am rather than
:   trying to recover a borked system.  The admin doesn't need the OS
:   sleeping and delaying the repair.

agreed.

: - adjkerntz, who cares if the date is wrong if you right to the FS (and
:   you are on a PC and have Winloose on it also).  At the least this
:   should only be installed on i386.

agreed, since this is needed only at the DST transitions.

: - comcontrol, I can't begin to imagine why one would need this to fix
:   a borked /.

agreed.

: - conscontrol, I can't begin to imagine why one would need this to fix
:   a borked /.

agreed.

: - growfs, how would growing / fix a borked /lib??

this could be useful, but it is definitely at the margin.

: - ipfw & natd & ipf & ipfs & ipfstat & ipmon & ipnan, why would one needs
:   these?  /rescue is to fix a borked /, not replace PicoBSD.

agreed.

: - nfsiod, to quote "It improves performance but is not required for
:   correct operation."  Recovering a borked / doesn't need to be high
:   performance.

agreed.

: - quotacheck, does one really want to enforce quota's on root, while he
:   is trying direly to fix a borked /??

could be useful to repair borked quotas on /, but it is at the
margins.

: - shutdown, 'reboot' is sufficient when single user -- there are no other
:   users on the system inform of the impending shutdown.

agreed.

: - swapon, this is not needed to fix a whacked out /lib.... unless we add
:   Emacs to /resuce.

This is also marginal, but might be needed.

: - wall, when single user (as one needs to be to fix a broked /) who is
:   one going to communicate with??

agreed.

: - tar, pax (w/{bz,g}zip) can do everything GNU tar can.

agreed, but there should be links to it.

Basically, all the ones I marked as marginal are small enough to
include w/o a large impact.  A quick ls suggests that they would only
add about 32k to the image, which seems reasonable.  the others, well,
we can save the space.

Warner