Date:      Tue, 01 Dec 1998 19:14:24 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Christoph.Prevezanos@post.uni-bielefeld.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Second SCSI-Controller

"Christoph Prevezanos" writes:
> Hello all!
>
> On my server I have FreeBSD 2.2.7 with an UW2940-SCSI-card.
> Now I need some more disks and tapes in the server.
> Is it possible to use a second SCSI-Controller or will I have
> problems with this?

Oh, there's lots of problems. But they are all trivial. Probably the
worst problem is figuring out what order your slots are scanned by your
BIOS, which determines when FreeBSD allocates device names. No big
deal, after installing the 2nd card if FreeBSD no longer finds your
SCSI devices at the same name, swap your cables between SCSI cards. Or
swap the slots. Just don't screw the covers back on until you find out.

One might give serious consideration toward learning how to hardcode
SCSI device name assignments in the kernel config file. Once you get a
lot of HD's, its not pleasant if one fails to start to find later HD's
and filesystems attempt to mount on the wrong places.

Otherwise if adding 2nd 2940 you don't even need to change the kernel
config.

I have one each, Adaptec and Symbios SCSI cards in this machine:

ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter> rev 0x00 int a irq 15 on pci0.9.0
ahc0: aic7870 Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
ncr0: <ncr 53c875 fast20 wide scsi> rev 0x03 int a irq 11 on pci0.11.0