Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 20:31:35 +0900
From:      "Koyo Kumagai" <SysAdmin@po.teleway.ne.jp>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Slow response for login prompts

Hello people. I've just joined this list.

Recently, I have started gaining more interest in UNIX than any other OS,
and certainly over the OS I work with everyday. :-)

I've installed FreeBSD 2.2.8 and 3.2 on two of my home servers, and
especially 3.2 is very very slow coming back with a login prompt when trying
to telnet in... 2.2.8 is better, but it's very random - sometimes it comes
back instantly, and other times it takes just as long as 3.2. Once inside,
things are very smooth.

For this very reason I get timed out attempts when trying to open xterm
through Exceed as well.

Can anybody help me out here? Sorry, I'm a complete beginner to UNIX...

Koyo Kumagai, MCSE

Merrill Lynch Japan Incorporated
Enterprise Technology Services
Tel +81-3-3213-8178