Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 99 13:03:41 PST
From:      Ken Harrenstien <klh@us.oracle.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        klh@us.oracle.com
Subject:   $$ Error in Handbook sect 2.1.1

I initially sent this to freebsd-bugs but was advised to tell
freebsd-doc (or use something called send_pr that I don't yet have,
for reasons that will become apparent):

		------------------------

In 2.1.1 of the current Handbook, "Disk Controllers", last updated
2-Mar-1999, there is a list of devices known to be supported.  This
includes:

	NCR5380/NCR53400 (``ProAudio Spectrum'') SCSI controller.

However, for the current FreeBSD release (3.1) this is incorrect.

I found this the hard way by purchasing a surplus Compaq Deskpro XL,
even though RedHat Linux doesn't support it, based largely on the fact
that its devices *were* supported by FreeBSD.  But after much
struggling I noticed that the install root floppy had a HARDWARE.TXT
list of its own, which *specifically* excludes the above controller (as
well as others that the Handbook claims are supported!) with the terse
explanation that 3.1 moved to a new CAM subsystem without bringing the
old stuff along.

If it's too hard to keep this updated, then perhaps each hardware
section should also advise people that there is a duplicate list in the
release notes, which should be checked to verify whether support for
their hardware still exists or not.  It's too late to help me but
this might help others avoid grief.

--Ken