Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 15:33:13 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Timeout for sh(1) 'read' ??

> Please don't introduce options with a different meaning than in ksh.
> ksh93 uses -d delim for an alternate line delimiter character than
> newline, and does not provide for a default value.

Ok.

> I see a need for the -t timeout parameter, since it's basically not
> possible to catch it otherwise without going through major hoops (due
> to shell-internal variable assignments that are required, so you can't
> e.g. easily employ a subshell).  However, assigning default values is
> something that is reasonably covered by things like:
>
> 	$foo=${foo:-default}

Hmm.  Actually,  you would get the desired behaviour with

val=${default}
read -t 5 val

because read won't have had a chance to modify 'val' if it does time
out.  So should read return an error if it times out? What does ksh do?

> (Implementing -r)
>
> > I could do with some guidance from people likely to be bitten by this;
> > is such a major change in the name of POSIX worthwhile?
>
> Well, it's hard to proclaim Posix conformance otherwise.  I thought
> that was one of our goals.  I doubt anybody would notice the change...

This is where I'm not so sure.  Naturally, POSIX is desirable (if
stupid), I just don't want to get stomped for violating POLA.

mike