Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2004 02:02:43 -0800
From:      "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
To:        Kevin Berrien <kblists@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install bug - 4.9 stable - post install circular reboot

--FFoLq8A0u+X9iRU8

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 09:10:14AM -0400, Kevin Berrien wrote:
> I can confirm an issue posted Dec 3rd, freebsd-stable maillist, titled
> "4.9 install buglet".
>=20
> I experience this bug running the install (various configurations) 100%
> of the time.  After install, after system reboot, the boot loader comes
> up with F1: FreeBSD, and reboots continually forever.  To test, I made 3
> installs without issue using 4.8.  So first, I'd like to confirm the bug
> report, and ask the following.
>=20
> In his "buglet" post, Ian noted the following work around.
>=20
> > Work around.  Force write in label screen (or rewrite MBR
> > and label post reboot)
>=20

I just experienced this same bug after installing freebsd 4.9 on monday
this week, though I don't remember seeing any message at all, it just
rebooted automatically without me doing anything at all.  The soulution
I found was to boot using the live cd, go into fix-it mode and run
disklabel -B /dev/ad0 to reinstall the mbr, and since then freebsd had
been running perfectly and is now serving mail to 40+ people.

>=20
rg"
>=20
>=20
> !DSPAM:400220fa260193583517191!
>=20

--=20
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.
Bluescreen leads to downtime.
Downtime leads to suffering.
NT is the path to the darkside.
Powerful Unix is.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C
=20

--FFoLq8A0u+X9iRU8

--FFoLq8A0u+X9iRU8--