Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:19:35 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "kalin mintchev" <kalin@el.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: missing /dev/dsp

> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 03:26:18 -0500 (EST)
> From: "kalin mintchev" <kalin@el.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>

> hi all..
>
>  i sent my t30 to ibm to replace a not working ram slot and i got it back
> in less then 48 hrs. pretty good. except the /dev/dsp is missing.
>
>  i don't see any cards in the dmesg but i know that the audio card is
> "SoundBlaster compatible". my system is 5.4 and according to the handbook
> devfs should figure it out - i haven't had to do this before...
> a have the audio enabled in the kernel... pcm...
>
> any ideas why is the dsp missing?  i think they did bios upgrade - is that
> what screwed it up?

A dmesg would be helpful as would kldstat and kernel config.

The obvious question is whether your kernel includes 'device sound' and
'device snd_ich' or kldstat shows them loaded. You might want to do a
'pciconf -lv' and look for what device is in class 'multimedia' and
subclass 'audio'. You may also need drivers for the System Management
bus:
device          smbus
device          iicbus
device          iicbb
device          intpm
device          ichsmb
device          smb

Not really sure of exactly which are needed.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)