Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:56:11 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Andrey Alekseyev <uitm@zenon.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Jaime Bozza <jbozza@thinkburst.com>, "'Barney Wolff'" <barney@tp.databus.com>, "'Olaf R'" <olaf@keghouse.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RE: Abominable NFSv3 read performance / FreeBSD server / Solaris client

>     Your solution seems reasonable though it will not completely solve the
>     problem.  A permanent solution, yielding maximal streaming, would be
>     to increase solaris's TCP receive window.  With properly sized TCP
>     buffers I can run NFS over TCP between two FreeBSD boxes at the line
>     rate (11-12 MBytes/sec)
>
> test1# mount_nfs -T apollo:/FreeBSD /mnt
> test1# nfsiod -n 4
> test1# dd if=test of=/dev/null bs=32k
> 2048+0 records in
> 2048+0 records out
> 67108864 bytes transferred in 5.795125 secs (11580227 bytes/sec)
>

> 						-Matt

In turn, the combination of FreeBSD client (4.6 as of mid-June)
and Solaris 8 NFS server (latest patches applied) behaves quite well
in my recent tests either with TCP or UDP NFSv3 mounts (I just can't see
the difference in speed).

I can get nearly 11MB/sec reads and about 10MB/sec writes on FE with
different block size values to dd. When running multiple dd's (about 20-25)
the bandwith gets equally used by all dd processes. I run 6 nfsiod
processes on FreeBSD client and I have also increased threads number
for nfsd on Solaris).

The only settings applied to Solaris tcp stack are:

/usr/sbin/ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_conn_req_max_q0 1024
/usr/sbin/ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_xmit_hiwat 49152
/usr/sbin/ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_recv_hiwat 49152

I'm just curious if I'll ever encounter the problem being discussed :)

--
Andrey Alekseyev. Zenon N.S.P.