Date:      Wed, 12 May 2004 08:14:44 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Bryan Cassidy <b_cassidy@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP to Static

--/NkBOFFp2J2Af1nK

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 06:11:20PM -0500, Bryan Cassidy wrote:
> Just went and got an extra NIC card, and ordered static ip address and up=
graded my service. I have a quick question. If I am changing from dhcp to s=
tatic is there anything that I need to do in order to take advantage of sta=
tic or to setup static? Always had dhcp up until now. Not sure if I have to=
 do anything to setup static. Thanks

Well, you have to provide all of the configuration info usually
supplied by DHCP yourself.  That's not just the IP number and netmask,
but includes such things as the default gateway, the IP numbers of the
DNS servers you should be using, and static routes and probably a few
other things as well.

All of this stuff can be set by editing a few files in /etc --
/etc/resolv.conf for the DNS stuff (see resolv.conf(5) for
instructions), and /etc/rc.conf for just about everything else (See
rc.conf(5) and look at /etc/defaults/rc.conf for some examples).

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way