Date:      Tue, 01 Feb 2000 22:25:33 -0500
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Scott Parsons <scott2@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: School Project

> Scott Parsons wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm doing a project on FreeBSD with other classmates for a college
> presentation.
> My part in the project, aside from the design, are the pro's and
> con's.  I guess it's easy enough to find all the pro's;  however,
> con's are not so easy.
>
> Could you please just make a few point form examples of the drawbacks?
> In areas such as:
>
> Marketing - I figure that if it is free, and the source is available
> then there isn't much                 of a market.  But I know that
> Yahoo and I think Hotmail are using                         FreeBSD.
> There has got to be a drawback somewhere.
>
> Compatibility- Can FreeBSD use any off the shelf application?

Nope.  No OS can.  Of course, FreeBSD can use most Linux binaries as
well as native freebsd, but wine isn't quite as far along as one would
hope...still I've heard good things.  VMWare runs under freebsd with
some tweaks so that may be a plus.

> Source Code- if a company has to reveal their changes, won't their
> competition just                     use it?  Therefore, what's the
> point in trying to alter it for your
> advantage?

Enter the BSD style license.  You don't have to reveal changes.  You've
confused FreeBSD with Linux on this point.  The BSDL is IMHO better than
the GPL mostly for this point.

> I can't think of anything else, the only reason why I sound negative
> is because I'm trying to find the downfalls of FreeBSD. I already know
> the great sides to the OS.

1.  No JFS yet.
2.  Less exotic hardware support for some things.
3.  Not getting quite so much attention from the media

Hopefully all these things will change, it certainly looks like they
will.

> PS I am using the devil pics for the project, if that is a problem
> just tell me.

The "devil" as you call it is actually a Daemon.  See the FreeBSD faq...
It belongs to Kirk McKusick <mckusick@FreeBSD.org>

--
Laurence Berland, Stuyvesant HS Debate