Date:      Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:20:07 GMT
From:      Trix Farrar <trix@basement.net>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/82231: mountd(8) behavior does not match exports(5) man page, /etc/exports comments or Handbook

>Number:         82231
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       mountd(8) behavior does not match exports(5) man page, /etc/exports comments or Handbook
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
According to documentation, multiple filesystems can be specified on a single line in /etc/exports.  However, when more than one filesystem is specified on a single line, mountd emits an error to syslog and does not export either filesystem.  syslog message is; "bad exports list line" followed by the filesystems specified.

>How-To-Repeat:
In my case, /usr/ports and /usr/src are different filesystems.  These filesystem are exported from machine willow to machines spike, harmony, and dawn.

In file willow:/etc/exports:
/usr/ports -maproot=0 spike, harmony, dawn
/usr/src -maproot=0 spike, harmony, dawn

Filesystems are exported correctly.

Edit willow:/etc/exports to contain:
/usr/ports /usr/src -maproot=0 spike, harmony, dawn

Signal mountd with:
# kill -s HUP `cat /var/run/mountd.pid

tail /var/log/messages to find
Jun  7 10:16:10 willow mountd[388]: bad exports list line /usr/ports /usr/src

>Fix:
exports(5 and Chapter 23.3 in FreeBSD Handbook should be updated to reflect current behavior of mountd(8), unless it would be easier/better to change mountd(8)'s behavior back to match documentation.