Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:18:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   *hard* lockup on 4.4 Release

Hmmmm, my first complete lock-up in over 2 years of
using FreeBSD.

I was tinkering with Nessus 1.2.1 and moved all the
plugins to a specific user's directory, then deleted
them from the normal place.  I tested this
'enhancement' by connecting to the nessus server as a
user who had no plugins to see what would happen.
Well the scan hung as expected, but when I quit the
scan my ssh connection died.  I flipped on the monitor
(3 feet away-test box) and saw syslogd exited on 15
and I no longer got any response from typing or the
mouse.

The strange thing is that nmaping the box kicks the
normal "Limiting closed port RST response..." messages
so some things on the box still work, but nmap also
says that all 1549 ports are shut.

Does anyone know what rememdy I have in this
situation?  In this case I can hard-reboot the box,
but the production server that will get this final
config applied is in another state.

Thanx for any help.
Keith

=====