Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:19:28 -0800
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        Lyndon Griffin <lgriffin@bsd4us.org>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hello ello llo lo o

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 07:32:09AM -0500, Lyndon Griffin wrote:
> ANYWAYS...  My first question is about the "early boot code" on the site:
> How far along is this code - will it actually boot a machine?  And, what
> is the possibility that we can reverse-engineer that code into something
> that will run on a sun4(|c|m)?  Would it be smarter to start from the
> 4.4-BSDlite2 code and work that up to -current?  Or should we work from
> something a little more contemporary, like Open-, Net-, or (shudder) the
> Linux kernel sources?  Has anyone yet taken responsibility as a leader
> in the SPARC porting efforts?  Has anyone besides Jason Evans written any
> code for this port?
>
> Next battery:  has anyone successfully built and tested a cross-compiler
> for this effort?  I mean, besides the information in the FAQ - it sounds
> as though Jason has/had a cygnus setup.  Would it be beneficial if I used
> my site as a general knowledge collection area and possibly a CVS server
> for the project (that's what I have planned it for, anyways)?

As of right now, there is no leader for this effort.  I have tried several
times to get my named dissociated from the SPARC port, but the FAQ persists
despite my efforts to get it taken down.

I didn't save any of the code from the work I did.  Most of what I
accomplished was getting a working cross-building environment.  (It takes
an act of God to buy Intel hardware at Sun, so I had to host my work on
Solaris.)  This isn't nearly the problem it once was, because it is 1) now
possible to run the NetBSD sparc64 port, and 2) much of Cygnus's work was
folded into egcs, which is now gcc.  So, getting a working cross-build
environment is much easier now.

If you're looking for direction, you might look at how the initial stages
of the Alpha port were done.  From what I understand, the porters basically
started out with NetBSD and iteratively replaced portions of the system
with FreeBSD.

Jason