Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:40:48 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Worst case swapping.

David Gilbert wrote:

> I'm positive that its not a case of the working set being larger than
> physical memory; it's one of choice of page to swap.

You are positively wrong, then. :-) Active pages are _always_ last
resort with the algorithm FreeBSD uses.

You mention Netscape is the only active application on another mail...
Well, there is X too, isn't there?

> Has anyone done any thinking about this behaviour?  It occurs with
> varying degree to many applications.

I have only seen something like this with Netscape. I could probably
trace it to Netscape running Java or Javascript, but I have never tried.
Alas, in my case this is MUCH worse, as the APA-1460 where Netscape (and
a lot of other applications) is consumes freaking amounts of CPU, which
results in trashing.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

		"He is my minion, so he doesn't need a name."