Date:       9 Mar 99 20:36:43 EST
From:      Marius M.Rex <mariusrex@netscape.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A partition over multiple hard disks?

   In the realm of theory, it would seem possible to spread one Un*x part=
ition
over multiple physical hard disks.  Now, I know that if I wanted to, I co=
uld
spread the /usr partition over multiple hard disks if I separately mounte=
/usr in one place, and say /usr/src somewhere else... /usr/local somewher=
else...et el.  That would be easy enough to do, and a little editing at
/etc/fstab would get them mounted nicely.  =

   But is there a way to seamlessly spread a large partition like /usr ov=
er
multiple disks without separately mounting subdirectories?  It would be k=
ind
of a pain to go through and plan how much space I needed for the
subdirectories, and parse out each a piece here and there.  (As I could
miscalculate and regret it later.)  Is there any way I could get my FreeB=
SD
box to just mount /usr over two or more hard disks, as if I had simply
allotted the total space to one mounting of /usr on one physical disk? =

    I am admittedly a Newbie.  I am currently running a 2.2.5 system, but=
 will
be upgrading to 3.1-Release in a week or so.  My system is made up of har=
dware
pieces that I could scrounge up, so I have a number of small physical har=
disks that I would like to treat as one physical disk under FreeBSD.  Is =
there
any remedy to my problem, or am I just going to have to go through and ma=
ke
some calculations myself, as I separately mount subdirectories?  I am wil=
ling
to read for myself, so feel free to point me to any documentation I have
overlooked, if that will save bandwidth.  Thank you for your consideratio=
n.  =

B.T.W. - I read the list, you can reply here.  =

        =

 =

Marius =

All life is a dance;  =