Date:      Fri, 06 Jan 2006 08:52:05 -0800
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Beech Rintoul <akbeech@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: /dev/ath log messages

Eric Anderson wrote:
> Beech Rintoul wrote:
>
>> I have noticed that for about the past month or so I've been getting
>> hundreds of the following every day in /var/log/messages:
>>
>> +ath0: link state changed to DOWN
>> +ath0: link state changed to UP
>>
>> It doesn't seem to affect connectivity, but it's really annoying in
>> the security report. Is there anything I can do to stop this? I'm
>> running -CURRENT from yesterday. I have built Sam's new drivers, but
>> this problem started long before that and was not affected by the
>> upgrade. The lease on the AP I'm connecting to is good for 24 hours so
>> I don't think that's an issue. I looked at the traffic with ethereal
>> and everything looks normal. I'm getting sorely tempted to go back to
>> isc-dhclient and see if this goes away, but I thought I would ask here
>> first.
>>

> I've noticed something recently too - my ath device frequently stops
> working, and I get this in messages:
>
> Jan  6 06:19:48 neutrino kernel: ath0: link state changed to DOWN
> Jan  6 06:20:35 neutrino kernel: ath0: device timeout
> Jan  6 06:20:56 neutrino kernel: ath0: device timeout
> Jan  6 06:21:06 neutrino kernel: ath0: device timeout
> Jan  6 06:21:59 neutrino last message repeated 2 times
> Jan  6 06:22:25 neutrino kernel: ath0: device timeout
> Jan  6 06:23:03 neutrino kernel: ath0: link state changed to UP
> Jan  6 06:41:35 neutrino kernel: ath0: link state changed to DOWN
> Jan  6 06:42:03 neutrino kernel: Memory modified after free
> 0xc5402000(2048) val=11600000 @ 0xc5402000
> Jan  6 06:42:04 neutrino kernel: ath0: link state changed to UP
> Jan  6 06:42:08 neutrino kernel: ath0: device timeout
> Jan  6 06:42:09 neutrino kernel: ath0: link state changed to DOWN
> Jan  6 06:43:12 neutrino kernel: ath0: link state changed to UP
> Jan  6 06:43:17 neutrino kernel: ath0: device timeout
> Jan  6 06:43:17 neutrino kernel: ath0: link state changed to DOWN
> Jan  6 06:43:33 neutrino kernel: ath0: device timeout
> Jan  6 06:44:10 neutrino kernel: ath0: device timeout
> [and so on]
>

> I would say this started happening for me in the last 2 weeks.

Device timeouts should not happen; it means the driver submitted a
packet to the card and didn't get a tx complete interrupt back in 5 seconds.

It's unclear if the "modified after free" msgs is related and w/o more
diagnostic info it's really hard to say why you're seeing device timeouts.

> I'm running -current from Jan 4th.  All kinds of system information is
> here:
>
> http://googlebit.com/freebsd/

Most of the useful info is not there.  No boot dmsg or indication of
what your network config is.  No indication of the hal version or the
mac+phy revs. yada yada yada...

	Sam