Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 09:26:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Keith J <kjohnso8@columbus.rr.com>
Cc:        Peter Ong <peter@haloflightleader.net>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Nevermind <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>, Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.ORG, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Keith J wrote:

> Well gee Tom.... if one end doesn't respond to negotiation... are you saying
> the smart end will force a speed or duplex that can't possibly work? Lets
> say I have an old 10Mbs ONLY card... are you declaring that it gets toasted
> by auto-negotiate every single time?

  If the 10Mbps card is set to manual full-duplex, and the switch is set
to auto-negotiate, the switch will set itself to half, creating a duplex
mismatch problem (and about 1 to 7% packet loss).  Both ends must be set
to auto-negotiate, or both ends must be set to manual.  That is the way it
works.

Tom