Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 17:49:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Evan Sarmiento <evms@cs.bu.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and Active Directory

Hello,

My high school recently hired a new technology coordinator. Instead
of using open source software, the coordinator redesigned the network
to support Windows 2000 and Active Directory. For those of you who
do not know what Active Directory is: Active Directory is an LDAP
server which delineates what privledges each host on the network
has, etc.

I asked him his policy on laptops. After a long conversation, he
said: "I do not allow any laptops running *NIX to be placed
on the network, as I believe it will interfere with
Active Directory."

I tried to explain to him how false his assumption was, but,
he would not recant his infamy. I can understand, in a way --
He wants to make sure that the network is running for
students to use.

How would I go about convincing this enthusiast that FreeBSD
will not somehow interfere with Active Directory? This is what
I have tried so far.

Fact: FreeBSD does not have any capability which would allow it to interact
with Active Directory
Response: I don't want to risk it

Fact: Active Directory does not try to auto-configure clients, unless
the client has the Active Driectory server name specified.
Response: I don't want to risk it

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Evan