Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 2014 07:56:50 +0100
From:      Jamie Griffin <griffin8j@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New xorg fails with "module ABI major version (6) doesn't match the server's version (12)"

On 15/08/2014 16:30, Mike Clarke wrote:
> On Thursday 14 August 2014 10:54:43 Jamie Griffin wrote:
>
>> This is simple to fix - run 'portmaster xf86-' and it will rebuild
>> the  drivers beginning with xf86- and will then match the servers
>> version.
>>
>> For some reason when building the ports for new xorg the drivers
>> built  and installed are for an older version of xorg server as
>> you've seen when checking pkg info.
> Thanks, that fixed it.
>
> The odd thing is that neither pkg version nor portmaster gave any
> indication that the drivers were out of date. All the packages for
> xorg were installed in a single run of pkg install so I wouldd have
> expected the new repository to have supplied all the relevant drivers.
>
> Portmaster just re-installed the drivers rather than upgrading them.
>
> ##################################
> curlew:/root# portmaster xf86-input-mouse xf86-video-vesa xf86-video-
> nv xf86-input-keyboard
>
> ===>>> Working on:
> 	xf86-input-mouse-1.9.0_3
> 	xf86-video-vesa-2.3.3_3
> 	xf86-video-nv-2.1.20_4
> 	xf86-input-keyboard-1.8.0_2
>
> [snip]
>
> ===>>> The following actions were performed:
> 	Installation of devel/pkgconf (pkgconf-0.9.6_1)
> 	Installation of devel/xorg-macros (xorg-macros-1.19.0)
> 	Installation of x11/glproto (glproto-1.4.17)
> 	Installation of x11/resourceproto (resourceproto-1.2.0)
> 	Installation of x11/xf86driproto (xf86driproto-2.1.1)
> 	Re-installation of xf86-input-mouse-1.9.0_3
> 	Re-installation of xf86-video-vesa-2.3.3_3
> 	Re-installation of xf86-video-nv-2.1.20_4
> 	Re-installation of xf86-input-keyboard-1.8.0_2
> ##################################
>
> But I still don't understand why pkg install failed to get the drivers
> from the FreeBSD_new_xorg repository which does appear to have them.
>
> ##################################
> curlew:/root# pkg rquery -r FreeBSD_new_xorg "%n %v" xf86-input-mouse\
> ? xf86-video-vesa xf86-video-nv xf86-input-keyboard
> xf86-input-mouse 1.9.0_3
> xf86-video-vesa 2.3.3_3
> xf86-video-nv 2.1.20_4
> xf86-input-keyboard 1.8.0_2
>
> ##################################
>
> In fact if I use "pkg install -r FreeBSD_new_xorg xf86-video-vesa" I
> do get it from FreeBSD_new_xorg and X works fine with it. But without
> the -r option it defaults to giving me the version from the FreeBSD
> repository.
>
> And Sod's law appears to apply here - pkg install did get the ati and
> intel video drivers from FreeBSD_new_xorg. Wrong versions of these
> Would not have affected me.

Yeah I had exactly the same thing and was confused by that as well. I've
stopped using pkg altogether for a while as its got issues. I had to
remove all my packages and start over because it screwed everything up
and it still won't install the KDE distribution; so i'm using my old
friend fvwm2 for now.